Christian Bale brings raw emotion and grit to his new drama "Out of the Furnace."


In the film, in theaters on Dec. 6, Bale portrays Russell Baze, who ends up in jail while his brother, played by Casey Affleck, finds himself engulfed in his own dangers. The film also co-stars Zoe Saldana, Woody Harrelson and Forest Whitaker.


Bale sat down with OTRC.com to talk about his role in the film, why he enjoys taking on different characters from film to film and why he enjoys playing more stoic, less talkative roles.


Check out five highlights from Bale's interview below and watch the full interview, as well as a clip and a trailer from the film, above.


1. Bale has to play a father figure to his brother in the film.


"Yes, you know, he's had to become the patriarch at an early age, yes. Yeah, he's dying that it was still just a brother/brother relationship but the fact is, he has to keep an eye on him. He has to take care of him because his own father cannot do that. So yeah, you're right."


2. He wrote down his character's internal thoughts to prepare for the role.


"I think that when you're playing more stoic, more quiet characters like this, you know, no one is ever just sitting and thinking nothing. Everybody's thinking something. It's just whether they chose to verbalize it or not that allow characters to say it all, that's all right out there, and the quiet characters, they're having a conversation in their head all the time. "


"So I actually do that, I tend to when I start a film I actually write what they're thinking, so I learnt the same dialogue, I never say it, but I learn it. And as you get into the groove of it you just come to know it and you're improving in your own head."


3. Bale feels the film will be a classic ten years down the line.


"My hope would be with a film like this is that it isn't just a short-term gratification, you know, it's something that you can discover in ten years and go 'I remember this, it meant something to me, I'll watch it again.' It has that longevity that real classic films have."


4. The actor says he enjoys selecting different roles to stay entertained.


"It keeps me entertained. You have to keep yourself entertained, you don't want to be a one trick pony and you get different times in your life. You know, I've had times when you got to pay the bills and something better arrive pretty soon or else you're in dire straits. And other times, like right now, it's very fortunate, I'm very fortunate, I'm able to say 'yeah, I don't have to, I can do something I really wish to.' Do I believe that's going to last forever? Absolutely not, I'm much more of a realist than that."


5. Bale refers to himself as still an 'inexperienced idiot' when recalling 1992's 'Newsies.'


"The same sort of inexperienced idiot? That part, that's definitely still inside of me, the part that still keeps messing up time after time, yeah he's still inside of me, definitely."


Reporting by George Pennacchio of KABC Television, which produces the nationally syndicated entertainment show "On The Red Carpet" (check for local TV listings).



(Copyright ©2013 OnTheRedCarpet.com. All Rights Reserved.)


0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Top