Tuesday, 10/ 8/2013 5:07 PM




Last week, actress Kate Mara, who plays ruthless political journalist Zoe Barnes on one of my favorite shows, House of Cards/em>, hosted the launch of Jagermeister Expression at the Refinery Hotel Rooftop in New York City. Before she ventured up to the party, I got to meet with Mara, who I can now officially confirm to you is the coolest chick ever. While her lips were sealed on season two of House of Cards (trust me: I tried), she was happy to disclose deets about her Emmys look and trading style advice with her sister, ahem, Rooney Mara. (Chicness runs in the fam!) Listen:


kate-mara-1

Mara in head-to-toe Michael Kors. She's owning those leather pants.


Glamour: I always admire how you and your sister, Rooney, take risks on the red carpet. Do you ever ask for each other’s opinions on outfits?


Kate Mara: We don’t ask for opinions all the time—but for a big of event, like the Emmys, absolutely. I actually sent her a picture of the [J Mendel] dress I wore to the Emmys before I chose it, and she was obsessed. She was like, “oh, I want that.” And I said, “Let me wear it first!”


kate-mara-emmys

Mara at the Emmys in J Mendel.


Glamour: That dress was so daring: It was slit-to-there. You had the sheerness on top. How do you wear something like that without having a wardrobe malfunction?


Kate: You have to plan. The slit wasn’t actually that high. I’m just really short, so it looks like the slit is all the way up my leg. But you can’t wear a bra with that kind of top, so you have to buy those crazy stick-on things and cut them to make sure they work. It’s like an arts and crafts project!


Glamour: You were at the Michael Kors show recently in a gorgeous pink dress…


Kate: Pink is like the one color I say I hate, and yet somehow I end up wearing it. Like, Michael Kors sent me a pink dress, and I’m like: ‘So beautiful!’ And I’m wearing it telling him ‘I hate pink, why am I wearing this? It’s really nice though.’ [laughs]


Glamour: So basically you just can't admit that you're a total pink addict. What’s something you can admit you love for fall?


Kate: I’m not over the crop top yet. It’s best to wear one with a high-waisted skirt. I don’t know that there’s any other right way. And it’s very flattering that way. It shows off the smallest part of a woman’s body, something we all like to show off.


Glamour: I’ve heard that you’ve been working some seriously long hours filming season two of House of Cards


Kate: Yeah. Last week, we were shooting nights, so were shooting until about 5 in the morning. Then I was trying to sleep during the day, which is very confusing. You wake up and feel hung-over but you haven’t had anything to drink!


Glamour: Well, you don’t look tired! How does your skin seem so refreshed after working such long hours?


Kate: When I get tired, my skin gets dry, so I love, and I might say this wrong, Orlane moisturizer from Paris. Their moisture is incredible. That’s the one thing I can’t live without.


Glamour: Glamour.com girls are obsessed with your smoky eyes. You’ve got the best smoky eyes. What’s your secret?


Kate: That’s thanks to the great Bruce Wayne who does my makeup. His name is actually Bruce Wayne. Isn’t that amazing? Batman does my makeup. But we always do a softer smoke look. I don’t think a hard, liquid eyeliner cat eye looks good on me.


Glamour: Last question: Are you a lip-gloss or lipstick girl?


Kate: Neither. I can never remember to touch it up, so if I’m not on the red carpet or at a photo shoot, I never wear anything besides chapstick. But I’ll have a heart attack if I don’t have my chapstick. I’ve got Blistex Berry in my clutch right now.


What’s your favorite piece of advice from Kate? And have you watched season one of House of Cards on Netflix yet?


Kate Mara at Jagermeister Expression: Arun Nevader, Getty Images, courtesy of Jagermeister Expression. Kate Mara at Emmys: Getty Images.


0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Top