While excitement stirs around the long-awaited production start for the "Fifty Shades of Grey" film, author E.L. James confesses she's "terrified."


"I've been terrified from the moment I published the book," James, 50, told Entertainment Weekly.


"You don't expect this kind of success. Even now it floors me. My only ambition for the books was to see them in bookstores. This is huge. And there is this passionate fandom; we need to get this right for them."


RELATED: JAMIE DORNAN, DAKOTA JOHNSON POSE AS ‘FIFTY SHADES OF GREY’ CHARACTERS


"I'm still taking it all onboard: 'OMG, this is actually going to happen!'" she said. "I'm still pinching myself."


The book series - which has sold over 70 million copies worldwide - will hit movie theaters on Valentine’s Day weekend of 2015.

WILL OLIVER/AFP/GettyImage/AFP/Getty Images


The book series - which has sold over 70 million copies worldwide - will hit movie theaters on Valentine’s Day weekend of 2015.



Her erotic novel series - which has sold more than 70 million copies worldwide - is set to go to movie theaters in February 2015, with lead actors Jamie Dornan and Dakota Johnson portraying the main characters Christian Grey and Anastasia Steele. James expressed fear that the book's loyal fans will hold her responsible for the success of the movie.


"They hold me responsible for everything," she said.


RELATED: LUKE GRIMES CAST IN ‘FIFTY SHADES OF GREY’


"I didn't know if it was the right thing to do," she added about selling the film rights to the novel to Universal Pictures.


"And then I thought, 'I'm middle-aged; when in the hell am I going to get another chance to make a movie in Hollywood?' That was the final thing: Let's go for it. Let's see if we can have some fun with it."


Jamie Dornan and Dakota Johnson of ‘Fifty Shades of Grey’ on the cover of Entertainment Weekly weeks after Dornan replaced Charlie Hunnam as the film’s lead.

Entertainment Weekly


Jamie Dornan and Dakota Johnson of ‘Fifty Shades of Grey’ on the cover of Entertainment Weekly weeks after Dornan replaced Charlie Hunnam as the film’s lead.



And, after Charlie Hunnam - who was initially cast as Grey - left the project, James said she had to "get off Twitter" for a while because of the backlash.


RELATED: E L JAMES CONFIRMS JAMIE DORNAN CAST IN ‘FIFTY SHADES OF GREY’ FILM


"I wasn't surprised," she said. "People hate change. I thought there would be a few people upset, regardless of whom we had chosen. It was intense, but people came around to it."


"It was disappointing, but it is what it is," she said of Hunnam, 33. "I wish him well. And now we have Jamie [Dornan], and that's great. It's been interesting with Jamie, [the fan reaction] has been so positive."


"It was so lovely that people didn't know who he was. I loved that."


The author also said the film's female lead, Johnson, 24, is an "old soul" with a "wicked sense of humor."


0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Top