Brazilian-born, New York-based handbag designer Carlos Falchi will make a personal appearance with his fall collection Wednesday from 10 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. at Julian Gold, 4109 McCullough Ave.


Falchi, who has been in the business for more than 30 years, spoke to us about his upcoming visit via cellphone from Manhattan.


Q: You must be talking and walking at the same time because people keep stopping you.


A: Yes, I'm on Seventh Avenue. You can't walk on Seventh Avenue without knowing someone.


Q: Tell me about your fall collection.


A: I'm bringing a lot of beautiful skins that are one of a kind and hand-painted, some with my own paintings.


Q: That's how you started out, as a painter, correct?


A: Yes, but then I took my paintings into making artistic clothing in the 1970s for (musicians) like Miles Davis and Tina Turner. Then the handbags came along because I made this huge tote that I used to carry all my things in and everyone wanted one. I still paint all my leathers. I bleach the skins and paint them. But, best of all, they're all made in New York City. Everything is made here.


Q: Do you have a favorite handbag for fall?


A: The crossbody — this is my forte. The crossbody bag frees a woman's hands. She's on the go and needs that freedom, and the bag is very comfortable and lightweight because I never put hardware on my bags. So they don't hurt a woman's shoulder from being heavy.


Q: What accessory should a woman never leave home without?


A: I always say she should have a tote. And of course a small- to midsized handbag, which is the current trend. Her whole life is in a cellphone so why carry it in such a huge bag? And she should also have one incredible clutch for an evening event in a jewel tone or a pretty neutral color. For fall, I'm crazy about beautiful blues.


Q: Where do you find inspiration?


A: It starts when I work with leathers. I'm all about color and paint and art. I love visiting museums. I love nature, and that inspires my work, too. I never thought about it, but that's why I love bird-watching.


Q: What do you like about Texas women?


A: I have a big heart and big feelings for Texas because I have been married for 30 years to a Dallas woman. In fact, her grandmother is from San Antonio. But, let me tell you, the women of Texas have class. And they are not just about wearing labels. They recognize beautiful products. But mostly I adore the way they dress with color and flair — that also is very inspiriting for me.


mquintanilla@express- news.net


0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Top